Volunteering is fun!
Farmborough Community Shop opened on 30 June 2018 and offers an essential service to many people, providing not only groceries but a place to meet and socialise and has already become an integral part of our village community. Our volunteers are essential to the success of the shop.
We are currently operating a rota system of up to five shifts per day. Most of our volunteers work one shift per week, although some choose to do two or three and some prefer to work once a fortnight or even once a month. We do our best to be flexible and accommodate everyone’s wishes, however, although we currently have a dedicated team we still need more volunteers to make this possible.
How can you help?
Working behind the till is just one way of helping the shop, but volunteer tasks aren’t just about serving in the shop or stacking shelves, we will also need help in lots of other ways, including:
- Receiving deliveries from our main suppliers and re-stocking the shelves.
- Serving coffee, tea and cakes in the coffee shop or just help with the till and clearing up.
- Baking cakes for our coffee shop.
- Maintenance work, for example, carpentry, plumbing, electrical work and odd jobs.
- Volunteer support, offering help, guidance and peer support to new and existing volunteers.
- Researching new products we might stock.
- Occasional shopping trips to replenish stocks.
- Behind the scenes and professional help, e.g. banking, accounting and bookkeeping, legal and policy documentation, human resources, administration, marketing, fundraising, or event organisation.
- Helping with computer skills.
Whatever skill or interest you have, we will welcome and appreciate all offers of help.
Volunteers need to be over the age of 15 but there is no upper age limit. Volunteers can be of all ages and ability and include students working towards their Duke of Edinburgh Award, people in full-time employment who can only help out at weekends or parents with young children who can only help during school hours, as well as the ‘active retired’.
What are the benefits?
These are just a few of the benefits gained from supporting Farmborough Community Shop:
- Make new friends
- Meet old friends
- Learn new skills
- Be part of your community
- Be proud of the part you play in keeping a valuable resource for all in Farmborough.
- At least one annual party to which all our volunteers and their spouses will be invited, as a thank you for all your help.
- A loyalty card that will give you discounts in the coffee shop.